Monday, January 26, 2009

Sol Breads 2

Sol Breads, Brisbane Jan 22 2009




Spent the day with Rob Gils and crew at Sol in Brisbane. For all you tall guys, the work benches were 6 inches higher than ours, so no back strain. They let me work as a bench hand. Hard to keep up with the young guns! (and Marco!)






No yeast here, all sourdough including the gluten free.






All made by hand as well, itermediate shaping, boarded and rested then final shaping. Most of the proofing is done in covered wagons, then the free form loaves are hand deposited on loaders as well.
Marco and I on the bench at Sol Breads
Sol's cafe out front of the bakery. All gluten free offer.ings here


Organic Pumpkins for the Pumpkin Bread. These are washed, roasted and de-stemmed, then thrown in the mix whole, seeds skin and all!

Thanks to Sol Breads for putting up with me! Here is a link to their web-site:

www.solbreads.com.au

No comments:

Why this blog.....

My photo
January to March 2009. I was on Professional Development leave from my teaching Job at the Culinary Institute of Vancouver Island Universtity. I chose to take a 3 month leave to visit bakeries and teachng institutions in Australia. Thank you to VIU and my union (BCGEU) for supporting this venture. The aim of this blog was to keep an ongoing diary of my experiences and share them with my students and colleagues. This sure beats coming up with a report and slide show months later. I mean "FRESH" is what baking is all about! Learned to bake back in 1978....making granola...but that is another story. .