Monday, February 23, 2009

Shepparton, Victoria

I was hosted by Stephen Pinnuck, a fellow instructor who had been on a similar trip as mine and had been hosted by us at VIU. I was inducted in the ways of rural Northern Victoria and the Murray River. The TAFE, Golbourne Ovens has a wonderful teaching spacious bakery kitchen. A joy to work in.

Shepparton is a town of 60,000 nestled in fruit growing country. There is a big SPC Ardmona canning plant here. We have all bought their canned goods in Canada.
One of my biggest impressions of the bakeries that we visited, is that there is a quintessential Australian Bakery. They have a national identity and do not stray far from the parameters that the discerning Australian customer has demanded over the years...a good meat pie, a scroll,a vanilla slice, lammington, a filled sandwich. Comforting, and a proven system that any successful town baker subscribes to.

































































































































































































And thank you, Stephen, for showing me the storied Murry River.

No comments:

Why this blog.....

My photo
January to March 2009. I was on Professional Development leave from my teaching Job at the Culinary Institute of Vancouver Island Universtity. I chose to take a 3 month leave to visit bakeries and teachng institutions in Australia. Thank you to VIU and my union (BCGEU) for supporting this venture. The aim of this blog was to keep an ongoing diary of my experiences and share them with my students and colleagues. This sure beats coming up with a report and slide show months later. I mean "FRESH" is what baking is all about! Learned to bake back in 1978....making granola...but that is another story. .